24.10.13

My moment with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


Her book Americanah made my literary year, while Half of a Yellow Sun in my opinion became a classic the moment it was published and I finally got to meet Ms Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, shake her hand and exchange a few pleasantries at this years’ Helsinki Book Fair!

Yesterday's attempt at Stockmann was scuppered by her having a migraine and being unable to attend, so I hauled myself through the most spectacular fog to the Helsingin Kirjamessut - ploughed through groups of school children and pensioners and after circling the entire floor found that she'd be holding a book signing in the Rose Bud books nook.

Only then did I relax and take in the fair. 

I was able to capture it but she had her hair in a crown of wrapped cotton thread as in this video. She had a healthy size audience who seemed as enraptured as I, some a bit more even. 

She was asked mostly the simple questions about home, and how she developed her ambition to be a writer - I felt that the interviewer could have done a little more homework and asked one or two more challenging questions even in the relaxed venue. 

My apologies for the mole and unfortunately, my video refused to upload


1 comment:

Mel_inHelsinki said...

I wish we'd moved to Helsinki a few months earlier as I missed the chance to meet her. Americanah became my favourite book as soon as I read it. So great to read this post and see your photos, Melanie