11.12.12

Lust, caution


As I trawled through the Stockmann book section, these cookbooks caught me attention. I was tempted, oh so tempted, to buy one as a Christmas gift  - stopping by the colour photocopier at the library before delivering them to the intended destination.

However, upon a rethink I realised that smoked salmon, lingonberries, vendace and rye bread are hardly on every grocery shelf in Zambia, thus rendering the books practically unusable.





It’s at such times when I remember the differences between contemporary cuisine in Zambia and Finland. Taking into account the economy, our tastes are fairly distinct. Take for instance Finnish makkara, in all appearances exactly like Zambian Hungarian sausage but in reality each is very unlike the other. I also find the biscuit shelves here lacking, barring specialty shops, or is it a question of absence making the heart grow fonder. There may be nothing I particularly miss, but nothing could compare to the pack of Tennis biscuits, brought for me by friends, with a nice cup of tea as I received earlier this year.

Moreover, as my Facebook friends have so cruelly reminded me, the rain season has begun; mango and guava sit atop my lust list. Of course, one could shell out two euro for a single mango from the supermarket, but the true experience of mango eating can’t be replicated. Oh to have a bucket of mangos bought from a truck at the side of the road, sliced, chomped and sucked skin and all, juice dribbling down my shirt with twenty more to go.

3 comments:

Masuka M. said...

The roadside bucket of mangoes consumed on an empty stomach when all other food becomes unnecessary is an unparalleled experience

Unknown said...

I LOVE those tennis biscuits. It's delicious and yes mangoes are everywhere, and that's a like snacking in our house right now... Cause we have mango trees, yes trees.

onecurator.blogspot.com

Mwila Agatha Zaza said...

Buckets of mangoes are one of those simple pleasures that are most appreciated when gone