10.8.11

Lost and a little pathetic

I've been pondering how in the last decade I have become so dependent on mobile phone technology and internet that when without it, as I have been for the last two days, I feel lost and rather pitiful.

While I still have internet at home, I realise I’m so accustomed to having the internet or rather, information, when and where I need it. Being unable to phone or text is bad enough, but my previous forays into mobile internet wilderness have been voluntary, still they resulted in my spending inordinate amounts of time in the world’s most northerly Burger King.

Without my mobile, I cannot indulge my love of pointless
trivia and indiscriminate fact checking. I am forced to write a reminder that for some reason (now unknown) th
is morning I needed to name the creator of the Chipmunks. I am currently contemplating how I will find my way to a new Finnish class on Friday without GPS and online maps.

Sadly it looks as if I have at least another day of waiting for my phone to possibly revive. Until then, I’ll have to make do without an alarm clock, timer, portable radio, city map, GPS, bus and metro schedule and my dictionary, translator and encyclopaedia. Egad! 

Photograph

2 comments:

MissBwalya said...

I can relate to this almost to the tee. When I leave the house I always make sure I'm ready and unhurried; I hate being late and/or distracted. If as I'm driving away I realise I forgot my travel mug of tea or my water bottle, I just say "oh well, I'll do without." However, if I leave my phone, it doesn't matter how far away I am, I'll turn around to retrieve it.

And to be honest, it's not that I'm most concerned about being within reach of loved ones, it's that I cannot do without the access to news, GPS, restaurant finders, indiscriminate fact checking, and all that comes with having a smart phone. I'd be lost and little pathetic without it.

Mwila Agatha Zaza said...

Thanks MissB

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Technology, or its absence, can be a crutch sometimes